Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

In article ,
TimR wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm coming late, but I've read most of the thread.

Have you tried grinding the seat for the shutoff valve before using a
new washer? Back in the day, I had some success with this, but sometimes
it wasn't enough and a valve had to be replaced.

Any preference on brand, assuming I go back with two faucet?

I would like to avoid tile repair. But I do have spare tiles, the previous
owner was a pack rat.

Even so, the tile work will be another task to do and you'll probably
have to deal with a mud bed rather than a cement board.

Yes, I have an additional shower in the basement, and yes I predict some
downtime. Of course there is no shutoff for the shower, but then none of the
angle stops in the house actually hold anyway, so all my work is done shut
off at the curb.

I had planned an opening big enough and an access panel. It will be behind a
large vanity mirror so it won't show.

Good idea.

Yes, all DIY plumbing jobs take a minimum of 3 trips: one to buy the parts
you think you need, a second one to buy the parts you really need, a third to
replace the parts you broke or dropped down the hold. And that's just the
minimum. I did have success on my last toilet repair in the minimum visits:
one to replace the flapper valve, a second because I noticed the tank bolts
were leaking, a third because after I replaced all the tank washers the
supply line leaked.

--
charles