Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:10:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 9:10:52 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 5:30:30 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
After you open up the wall behind the shower, buy shutoff valves (I would
suggest ball valves with a waste port such as:
http://www.dongyavalve.com/products/...0valve122.html ). That way, you
can install them first and then continue the job later if needed without
having to turn off water in the whole house.

Good idea but I don't think there's room. There's a sink and vanity on the back side of the shower and I have to work above it. I may be able to screw a plug into the supply depending on whether it's threaded or soldered.

Can you cut the pipes and put a SharkBite cap on them while you do most of the tear-out and
install?

BTDT

Probably so. When I replaced my kitchen sink faucet, I couldn't finish the job that night so I capped the lines and turned the water back on. I still have those caps but they are threaded and who knows what I'll find inside the wall.