Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 5:30:30 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
After you open up the wall behind the shower, buy shutoff valves (I would
suggest ball valves with a waste port such as:
http://www.dongyavalve.com/products/...0valve122.html ). That way, you
can install them first and then continue the job later if needed without
having to turn off water in the whole house.

Good idea but I don't think there's room. There's a sink and vanity on the back side of the shower and I have to work above it. I may be able to screw a plug into the supply depending on whether it's threaded or soldered.

And, while you have the water off at the street, install a new, non-leaking,
ball valve with a waste port inside where the main water line comes in.
That will eliminate the need to shut off water at the street for any repairs
or leaks inside your home.

Yeah, I had that idea too, haven't found the main water line though. Finished basement, and it's boxed in somewhere.