Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 09:29:12 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

Followup question:

I have to cut through plaster and metal lath. I guess it's expanded perf metal, from the tiny bit I can see through the faucet openings.

I would cut a hole from stud to stud, but it's a lot harder to find studs in plaster walls, at least for me. I hope the shower is centered between studs.

The web has recommendations for a Rotozip and a utility knife for cutting plaster down to lath. I have both, never tried the zip on plaster though. Or a dremel and a lot of cutoff blades. Anybody have a good way to do this job?

I would use a reciprocating saw with a short, bimetal, metal cutting
blade.

Yes the existing valve is mounted between studs.

Just be careful when cutting with the recip saw, don't cut into your
pipes. First use a good hole saw on a drill so you can look in the
wall and see what you are dealing with.

Check out this video:

http://bit.ly/2gqAvrI