Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

Thanks for the comments so far.

Any preference on brand, assuming I go back with two faucet?

I would like to avoid tile repair. But I do have spare tiles, the previous owner was a pack rat.

Yes, I have an additional shower in the basement, and yes I predict some downtime. Of course there is no shutoff for the shower, but then none of the angle stops in the house actually hold anyway, so all my work is done shut off at the curb.

I had planned an opening big enough and an access panel. It will be behind a large vanity mirror so it won't show.

Yes, all DIY plumbing jobs take a minimum of 3 trips: one to buy the parts you think you need, a second one to buy the parts you really need, a third to replace the parts you broke or dropped down the hold. And that's just the minimum. I did have success on my last toilet repair in the minimum visits: one to replace the flapper valve, a second because I noticed the tank bolts were leaking, a third because after I replaced all the tank washers the supply line leaked.