Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 11:14:20 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
typed:
I have never seen a two handle shower / tub combo,
not sure how that would work.

Me too -- at least about the part about how that would work.

I wonder if they only work for use as EITHER just a shower OR just a
tub. I am not sure how it would be able to switch back and forth
from tub use to shower use etc.

They use a diverter valve in the spout for the tub, that's one way.
After the water is running into the tub, you pull it and it switches
to the shower.

At first, I thought that maybe the tub faucet could have one of those
switches on in to turn the faucet either on or off -- and maybe with
the tub faucet off the water would divert up to the shower head.
That seems a little iffy to me, but maybe that's how it works?

Bingo.

Thanks, I guess that's it. I guess with an open tub faucet there would be
enough back pressure for the water to also back up to the height of the
shower head and leak out there at the same time.

And, I did just find this image that shows it set up for tub and shower use
with the diverter valve on the spout for the tub:

http://www.contractorssolutions.com/...le_faucets.jpg