Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

In ,
typed:
I have never seen a two handle shower / tub combo,
not sure how that would work.

Me too -- at least about the part about how that would work.

I wonder if they only work for use as EITHER just a shower OR just a tub. I
am not sure how it would be able to switch back and forth from tub use to
shower use etc.

At first, I thought that maybe the tub faucet could have one of those
switches on in to turn the faucet either on or off -- and maybe with the tub
faucet off the water would divert up to the shower head. That seems a
little iffy to me, but maybe that's how it works?

Here's a link to an exploded view of a two handle "Tub and Shower Valve",
but it looks like, depending on where the plug is inserted, it can only be
either a tub valve or a shower valve -- but not both:

https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/media...sheet_1588.pdf