Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 05:54:56 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

My shower needs replacement. The drip can't be stopped, new washers and seat do nothing, and the stem slips. I've tried the specialty places and they don't even recognize the brand, it seems to be the original 1962 installation. My plan was a new stem and seat but we couldn't find one that would fit.

So probably time to just replace. But that's a job I haven't done.

It is a two handle shower, which I like. I see you can still get those, I thought it was going to have to be a one handle conversion. Is there anything wrong with going back with a two handle? One that will last and be easy to replace parts on, I really would like this to be the last time I do the job.

It is probably preferable for you to replace with the same two handle
configuration, that way you can avoid tile repair. However, the
distance between the handle centers is important, so, get out your
tape measure. Typical distances between handle centers are 8" and
10".

Also, is this strictly a shower or is it a shower / tub combo?

I have had excellent experience with valves that utilize ceramic discs
instead of old style washers.

I am going to have to cut the wall on the other side to get access, and that won't be easy - it's plaster and metal lath, not drywall.

Great fun, be sure you cut a generous enough opening to allow for safe
and easy sweating of your connections. Make sure you have a fireproof
welding blanket to protect the inside of your walls and, of course,
have a fire extinguisher handy.

If you aren't comfortable with sweating pipes, you can easily use
sharkbite connectors and pex pipe to plumb the valve. This video will
give you an idea of using that approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfn9DPAlVg

But not having seen the inside of one of these, I'm wondering how hard it will be to get everything connected back up. I'm guessing it is galvanized pipe but I won't know until I get it open.

Or am I going the wrong direction?

Do you have other galvanized water supply pipes in your house?
Considering the vintage, I would think the supply pipes are copper.