Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 05:54:56 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

My shower needs replacement. The drip can't be stopped, new washers and seat do nothing, and the stem slips.
I've tried the specialty places and they don't even recognize the brand, it seems to be the original 1962 installation.
My plan was a new stem and seat but we couldn't find one that would fit.
So probably time to just replace. But that's a job I haven't done.
It is a two handle shower, which I like. I see you can still get those, I thought it was going to have to be a
one handle conversion. Is there anything wrong with going back with a two handle?
One that will last and be easy to replace parts on, I really would like this to be the last time I do the job.
I am going to have to cut the wall on the other side to get access, and that won't be easy - it's plaster and metal lath, not drywall.
But not having seen the inside of one of these, I'm wondering how hard it will be to get everything connected back up.
I'm guessing it is galvanized pipe but I won't know until I get it open.
Or am I going the wrong direction?

just a couple side-points :
: plaster and wall-board from that era sometimes contains asbestos
: I've seen a shower valve casting partly "eaten away" inside -
by ~ 35 - 40 years of well water - preventing new internal parts from
making a seal - perhaps yours is badly corroded inside ?
: I would suspect copper rather than galvanized in 1962
: plan your job & buy stuff after you've opened up the wall for a
look.
You're going in the right direction, when it's the only direction.
:-) John T.