Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Car Battery

On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:17:15 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/11/16 22:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

Low performance vehicles don't need battery clamps to be functional.
I've driven more than one vehicle that had no provision for any sort
of battery clamping. Of course they're a hazard in a crash, that's
primarily why cars now have the clamps.

"Now"? My first car (1964) was a 1953 Ford Prefect. I'm pretty sure that
its battery was secured (was it in a box compartment?) - and I'm
definitely sure that all my subsequent cars had clamps or similar ways
of securing the battery. It's unthinkable that they wouldn't.

OTOH I've bought many a second hand one where the clamps were missing
and how they attached was not obvious, to the point where you might be
forgiven for thinking they didn't have any.

Ah, the little rectangular washers down the bottom.

NT