Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Is this light switch ok

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 21:38:16 +0000, ss wrote:

On 26/11/2016 19:20, Scott wrote:
Are you in contact with them perchance? The answer may be a short
phone call away.

I am slowly replacing their halogens with LED.
Lounge has 12 x 60w, kitchen 13 x halogens.
Are these mains voltage or 12V? I have a lot of 12V halogen bulbs and
I am wondering if they can be replaced or if the huge drop in load
would damage the transformer.

No cant contact them.

I believe the halogens were 240v in and 12 v out.
The ones I have replaced and still to replace are in the kitchen and
where I had 9 halogens in the ceiling I have replaced with 4 LED 6 inch
panels total wattage for the 4 is 48W as against 540W and it is much
brighter (cool white).
They cost around £8 per panel on ebay I think each panel has 30+ LEDs in
it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3019340747...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks. That was exactly my concern. I thought that the load and the
coils on a transformer had to be balanced and thefore to substitute
48W for 540W would damage the transformer. I'm sure that overloading
a transformer can cause damage. What I don't know is whether
underloading can cause damage.

No it wont. The worst that might happen is that the voltage is higher
than with all halogens and that might well see a halogen still left in
that circuit not last as long as it would normally do, but you say that
you don't want to run it with one halogen per transformer anyway,