Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Keystock as Lathe Bits ?

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 4:39:16 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 12:46:27 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 11:55:10 AM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 16:03:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Maybe try bending a piece. HSS doesn't bend very well (snap!) and most
tool steels don't either (shrug).

If you meant that in the onomatopoeic sense, and if it shrugs, it probably won't cut very well. d8-)

Happy Thanksgiving, Leon and all.

Geesh, good thing I have a dictionary, editors...

Learning new things keeps you young. d8-)

I actually have some very similar pieces around somewhere. Dad picked
them up many years ago and we always wondered if they were some sort of
blank tool steel. Next time I come across them I'll try the "bend
test" on one

I have an inherited box of 1/4" and 3/8" keystock. It looks a lot like my box of old HSS lathe-bit stock. I've never done anything with them, but I'll spark-test them when I get a chance.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too and all the rest!

It was a great one. 'Hope yours was as good.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b