Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

On Thursday, 24 November 2016 20:25:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK.

Corse you are, thats how the electrical stuff like lawnmowers,
hedge clippers, strimmers etc are powered, stupid.

No it's not stupid.
Who runs their extention cable along the top of a fence to mow the lawn and leaves it there for years.
If yuo;r fixing it to a fence or leaving it outside it should be covered at least wehn it's not in use.

And you certainly arent allowed to power the entire house
from the builder's temporary supply here. I did that anyway.

Why does that not suprise me.