Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK.

Corse you are, thats how the electrical stuff like lawnmowers,
hedge clippers, strimmers etc are powered, stupid.

And you certainly arent allowed to power the entire house
from the builder's temporary supply here. I did that anyway.

With the extension cord from the wooden pole that the
meter box with the power sockets inside was on, to the
eaves of the house. With a knot in that cord to keep it
from falling down. The plastic was a bit melted inside the
knot when the electricity supply operation eventually wagged
a finger and made me get the house connected properly.

That extension cord had a jesus adapter that powered
the entire house, including the big wall oven and grill,
electric storage hot water, everything. All you had to
do was be a bit careful to not turn it all on at once.

Even if you managed to do that it would just take out
the fuse in the builders temporary supply meter box.

Even in the 60s my dad ran the cable in a
metal pipe so it didn't get bitten by animals

We do have galahs which can get a bit like that
but its never happened and there is bugger all of
that cable that is where they can get at it anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galah

or be too exposed to rain adn snow and of course the sun.

I dont bother, trivial to replace it if it eventually decays.

Dont expect it ever will need replacing. She's not going to live forever.