Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

On 11/24/2016 5:50 PM, rick wrote:
On 23/11/2016 14:57, GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

That is why I find it amusing number of people will put t&e (not in
conduit) external to their house to feed ashed or garage

Not ideal certainly, but the PVC sheath is fairly UV resistant, even
more so if painted. Unlikely to be much risk, especially with RCD
protection.

That failed spreader was certainly a very poor material.