Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

"pamela" wrote in message
On 17:54 23 Nov 2016, Scott M wrote:

GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has
crumbled away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors
were showing.

Doesn't even require sunlight. I had a couple of (probably 5YO)
works ones disintegrate and they lived in the bottom of boxes in
a van - so maybe just heat or cold.

Seems to be the cheap nasty ones from China.

That sounds like most of the stuff you get in a pound shop: if it
doesn't spectacularly fail to the job properly as soon as you get it
home but actually seems quite reasonable and a real bargain - then
after a period it will degrade to the point of being completely unfit
for purpose.

That is radically overstating what you get in a pound shop.

Most of it works fine for as long as anything else.