Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surface wiring

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 08:24:24 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 24/11/16 02:53, John Rumm wrote:
As I have needed to do a few installations recently which were all
surfaced wired, I though I would lob the few photos I had into an
article with some tips on wiring surface stuff.

What I got so far was:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Surface_wiring_tips

However it could do with photos of other types of install - say conduit
metal and plastic), micc, square trunked etc. Anyone got any good shots
I can use handy?

Is there any recommendation for labelling unused switches?

In our last place there was a switch above the sink (! Before regs?) in
a utility room behind the garage. It was connected up, but the wiring
disappeared behind the sink unit and I never found out what it went to.
It was one of those irritations every time I saw it - what did it
supply? The guy we bought the house from had a lot of "just in case"
cabling and boxes all over the place, ready for whatever connection
might be needed. I think we used only two of half a dozen or so in the
14 years we were there.

It's just that there is an unconnected third switch in the multiple, and
someone who moves into the property later may wonder if something is
faulty if nothing comes on when the switch is operated. Maybe a double
switch would have been sufficient; a triple wouldn't exactly break the
bank if it was needed later, especially if the "spare" cabling wasn't
present anyway.

I would be wicked and label the third switch:

THIS SWITCH MUST BE LEFT 'ON'
DO NOT TURN OFF