Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Sump Pump has no switch. How the heck does it work?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 02:28:49 -0500, micky
wrote:

So here are more answers to the question above:

Yes, it has pressure switch. The black round housing on the side is
where the switch is. Very reliable.

No it dont. Apparently you were looking at a different model pump.

if you mean does it come on by itself when the water gets to a certain
level - yes. It does require being plugged in

Of course it needs to be plugged in.... That's a no brainer....
An external float can be purchased to make it work automatically.

Yes, it activates when the water level is about a certain point. I've
had one before, and it worked fine. They last about 8-10 years in this
part of the country (Iowa).

Yep, it works that way WITH the external float, which is not included
with the pump.

I'll probably tear it apart when I have nothing better to do, and see if

That seems like a very bad idea.

Why do you say that? That is how people repair things, and how I got it
working. It works great now, after I tore it apart and found the shaft
was siezed up above the impeller.

* This pump will come in handy when I need to empty livestock watering
tanks, so I can move them, or to get rid of "stale" water and clean
them. That will sure beat using a 5 gallon bucket to remove as much as
200 gallons of water.