Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

We buy new ones when they get lost or stolen. Or plug in more things. Where I used to work I bought truckloads of the things, no doubt a lot of them disappeared into the homes of the staff. No sense trying to stop them, I could get them in bulk for a couple of quid each.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:01:40 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually I had one recently that seemed intermittent when plugs were in it.
I had assumed it was just that the springyness of the contacts had reduced,
so took it apart to see if I could respring them. However what had happened
was that the plastic making up the bottom of the socket bar was crumbling
away, and cracking where the pressure from the contacts had been. Nothing
for it but the bin sadly. Not enough long tirm environmental testing,
obviously.
I suppose if these things never died, nobody would buy a new one?
Brian

--
Peter is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.