Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Damn Olson blades.

On 11/23/2016 10:06 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 11/22/16 11:41 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/22/2016 10:45 AM, Brewster wrote:

My tires are flat rubber hoops, but out of curiosity, I placed a square
across the tire surface and sure 'nuf, there is a very slight crown,
maybe 10 mils at the center across 1 1/4" of width. My wheels must be
machined with an ever so slight crown (learn something every day!)
I still run narrow blades (1/2" and smaller) with the teeth hanging off
the front of the tire as recommended, never get any movement, but I'd
assume that tweaking the tracking is effectively putting a pseudo-crown
under the center of the blade.

-BR

Teeth off the front of the rubber?

Yep.

How old is the saw?

2003

What brand?

MiniMax 16

I wonder if the tire is worn.

Nope, just SOP for these saws.

Old saws didn't have much crown and had rubber, which hardened or wore
down. Maybe your tire needs replacement.

I fried (melted) my tires when I was resawing some really tough wood
with a 1-1/4" 0.035" thick blade, about the max I'd ever try to tension
on that saw. Usually the tires are supposed to last "forever" (_they_
say), but other then the melted sections, the rubber was nice and
pliable. Bummer is new rubber ran $40 each.

I let my narrow blades ride in the center. I don't usually have to touch
my saw, other than set the thrust bearing and guides.

I could run in the center, but the teeth would tend to eat up the tire
surface given the minimal crown. I have a 1960's 14" Powermatic that is
more typical in that the blades need to run in the center. This saw has
flat machined wheels so the tires supply the crown. I replaced the
original rubber with urethane, which were also flat. The tire mfg.
suggested building up the crown with strips of tape placed in the center
of the wheel (under the tire), 1/4" strip on top of a 1/2" strip.
The crown is visible and the blade loves to seek out that high point.

That second saw lets me keep a 1/4" blade on the 14" saw for general
cutting and curves and leave the MM set up for resawing. BIG time saver
not having to swap out blades in the middle of a project.

-BR

I have not had to replace the urethane tire on my Delta . I would have
thought the urethane tires have the crown built in. But I don't know as
I've never taken off the tire. Maybe some do and some don't.

I usually run a 1/2 blade unless doing something curvy. So my narrower
blades get much less use.

Thanks, for the info, I had never heard of that, but I guess it makes sense.

--
Jeff