Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

Please note the interpolations:

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 7:21:09 PM UTC-5, Robert Bannon wrote:

What are most household chemicals?
They're just *diluted* versions of chemicals.
Right?

For example, what's household bleach?
It's just diluted bleach.

Sure, anything from about 2% to about 5% sodium hypochlorite. And why is it diluted? So that the user stands a chance of not being damaged by accidental misuse. As simple as micturating into a toilet with a bleach concentrate in it.

What is nail polish remover?
It's just pretty smelling diluted acetone or ethyl acetate.

Yes, as either is explosive if misused, spilled, or concentrated in a closed room. 2.5% to 13%. & 3.3% to 9% respectively. And both have exceedingly low flash points.

What is rubbing alcohol?
It's just vastly diluted isopropyl alcohol.

70% is diluted. 91% less so, and 100% is readily available. But the vapor pressure is far lower than acetone or ethanol, and so far less dangerous. Still, explosive at 2.2%

Why not just use the concentrate?
Concentrated pool bleach is what I use in my washing machine.

You dress all in white or use solution-dyed man-made fabrics, then?

Concentrated muriatic acid is what I use in my toilet bowl.

If it is called 'concentrated' and 'muriatic acid', it is not as much of a joke, but it is not glacial hydrochloric acid. THAT is the concentrate. And in any case you had best be on a municipal sewer system as you are making short work of your septic system using concentrated bleach and acids.

Pure acetone is what my kids use for removing nail polish.

Ah, so you are looking for as much collateral damage as possible when you collect your Darwin Award? And you are teaching your kids all this as well?

So, currently, I use the "concentrated" goo remover outside, which works
fine as gasoline melts virtually all food jar label goop, and what gasoline
doesn't melt, the acetone generally does.

If you were to live alone and away from anyone else, why not? But as it is, you are concentrating a large number of dangerous chemicals in dangerous forms in the same house as your family.

While I use most of my chemicals in the concentrated form, gasoline stinks
and is flammable so I want to simply dilute the gasoline so that it (a)
doesn't stink as much and so that it (b) isn't as flammable.

So is Acetone & Ethanol. Bleach is corrosive and can release chlorine, chloramine gas and react badly with any number of materials making very toxic byproducts. Acetone and Ethanol are explosive, damage a great many plastics and finishes, and are very often abused in and of themselves.

Muriatic (*hydrochoric*) acid is one of the most active acids on the planet, and will react with many things in any concentration at all. It is also colorless and odorless, burns skin very nearly instantly and much more. Mixed with many common household chemicals it can release compounds that are exceedingly deadly. These include hydrogen sulphide, straight chlorine gas, even igniting (as in fire) steel wool. That burns VERY hot.

If that were easy to do, I never would have asked.
BTW, I'm sure it's doable - simply because I can dilute with petroleum
distiallates. I just don't happen to have cans of petroleum distillates
lying around.

I suspect the gasoline works almost as well at 1/10th its original
concentration, as gasoline is just petroleum distillates anyway, which is
what most "spirits" are.

There are distillates and there are distillates. Gasoline is Benzene based. Most household chemicals are not. And if you do not understand the fundamental differences between the two, you well and truly are hopeless.

I hope that your family is at/past the 'leaving home' stage as you are, truly, a disaster in the making.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA