Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

In article ,
Robert Bannon wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 19:25:47 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The problem is that
at about $2.50/gallon for gasoline, all the other solvents are at
least 3 times as expensive per gallon. Why do you need to dilute the
gasoline? How big or how many labels are you removing that the
process requires gallons of gasoline?

Thanks for thinking Jeff, and for asking thinking questions.
This question was always about chemistry.

Answers:
1. I only remove about 1 label a week (or so).
2. It's not the expense; it's the pleasure of using a home remedy solution
that actually works (if peanut butter really worked, that would be fine).
3. I've tried *all* the chemicals I keep at home.
4. Gasoline works more often than all the rest.
5. Acetone works second best (but not as well as gasoline).
6. Gasoline stinks up the house if used inside.
7. Plus it's too flammable to store under the kitchen sink.
8. So I'm just trying to use vastly diluted gasoline.
9. My hope is that a 1:10 gas:diluent solution will still work.
10. If it's a 1:10 solution of gas:diluent, it might not stink so bad.
11. And, a 1:10 solution might be more safely stored indoors.
12. That's the only reason I ask the scientific question.

I only remove a label about once every week or two.

You mentioned 1 to 10 a while back and I forgot to ask 1 of what to 10
of what?

If it's 1 of gasoline to 10 of whatever, and this works, why not use the
whatever full strength? Because you're choosing the whatever based on
price - it costs at least less than gasoline - why not use it?

Others have mentioned the danger and I don't think it's severe if you
are using a baby food jar of it, sealed.

If you are doing once a week, do the prep work inside - soak in water,
scrape most of it off, using a single edge blade for most of the gunk,
and then finish outside. If the weather isn't good, store several weeks
worth until it is.

--
chalres