Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

Robert Bannon writes:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:50:39 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Once you dilute the gasoline, it will still release fumes,
carry the exact same risk, and smell just as bad.

Maybe. Maybe not.

If I **** in your cup of water, it will stink like urine and look like urine
and taste like urine (don't ask - I don't know).

Now, if I dilute that **** 10:1 or 100:1, I'd wager none of the deleterious
effects will occur.

That's why they say the solution to pollution is dilution.
All chemicals work that way.

Why is gasoline any different than all other chemicals?

I'm sorry, that's not how chemistry works.
You quoting an old saying doesn't even sound logical.
Here's what Google says:

Pollution mixing zones are streams or bodies of water where polluters
(industrial, municipal or individual) can legally obtain a permit to
dump bio-accumulative chemicals, sewage, mining waste water at high
concentrations based on the mistaken old rule that €śdilution is the
solution to pollution.€ť

In chemistry, when you mix two compounds, you either get a reaction
or a mixture (no chemical reaction).

If you get a reaction, the odds are, you no longer have gasoline
and it will no longer work as before,

If you don't get a reaction, the gasoline is still there, creating
fumes, and it's still flammable.

--
Dan Espen