Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Robert Bannon Robert Bannon is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 10:47:55 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

That's what I was wondering too, one aerosol can of label-remover has
lasted me several years so far ...

That's cheating.

That's like buying mayonnaise in a jar.
Sure, it's easy.

But it's no fun.
Making it yourself takes technique; but that's the fun of it.

Plus, often, a home-spun solution works far better (e.g., muriatic acid in
an encrusted toilet bowl works extremely well, and certainly worlds' better
than any grocery store solution you've ever used in your life!).

Sure, muriatic acid is dangerous.
But it's a readily available chemical that works like you can't believe, for
cleaning toilet bowl crud.

Same thing here.
Anyone, without a morsel of thought, can *buy* a ready-made solution.

Why even have a newsgroup titled anything.repair if all you do is buy a
ready-made solution?

Remember, I *already* have a perfectly good solution using three readily
available solvents:
1. Water (to remove paper labels)
2. Gasoline (to remove most goop)
3. Acetone (to remove the rare goop impervious to gasoline)

The only reason for the question was to figure out how to chemically cut the
gasoline down to 1/10th of full strength (or more) so that it possibly could
be used inside instead of outside.

It's not more complicated than that.

If you want to buy your solutions without thinking further about them,
that's fine as it's a perfectly viable and sensible approach.

There are plenty of people who don't cut down their own trees, and who don't
mix their own cement and who don't dig their own post holes and who don't
repair their own oscilloscopes, etc.

But I wouldn't think we'd find them on these two repair newsgroups, who are
all about getting scientific and technical and practical advice on home spun
solutions.