Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 20 November 2016 14:27:19 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
How do you chose the "correct" fuse for an extension lead (assuming
the lead is designed for a 13A load)?

I can't imagine why you assume extension leads are all 13A rated. I
assure you they're not. 10A leads get a 10A fuse, 5A leads get a 5A
fuse etc. Hardly a challenge.

Rather silly

we've already covered the advantages

There aren't any.

given the average person won't have a clue how much current things
take. And if, say, a 5 amp fuse blew would likely fit a 13 amp one.

what have other people's inability to read got to do with me? Why do
these discussions always sink into idiocy.

If you're talking about what is on sale - rather than something you make
up for your own use - rather a lot.

Safer to make them all 13 amp. Much as has happened with all leads
these days.

Obviously it hasn't. This is too dense to discuss any further.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.