Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 02:49:31 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 18:19:25 -0500, wrote:

There really isn't anything that will "dilute" gasoline that is not
either at least as flammable or at least as dangerous as gasoline
itself - particularly not that will not also destroy it's solvency.

Actually, while you're probably right in a *practical* sense, I'm sure there
are zillions of things that can dilute gasoline.

For example, Jeff already looked up what is in gasoline, so, diluting the
gasoline with any of those compounds would *probably* work.

Jeff mentioned for example,
a. butane,
b. isobutane,
c. pentane, and
d. isopentane.

Note to Jeff: I'm not sure if that is accurate though, because there must be
alkenes and alkynes, and aromatics too; but the point is that anything that
is *in* gas (which is a *lot* of things should be able to dilute it.

However, none of them appear to be 'common household chemicals'.

TECHNICALLY adding anything that is part of gasoline is NOT diluting
it - in many cases it is making it "stronger"

I'm willing to bet there is NOTHING that will meet your requirements
as a "dilutent" for gasoline that will make it smell less, work as
well or better, be less dangerous, and not cost the moon.