Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 19:08:19 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

Yup. The label removers are no better than gasoline, as far as I know, when
it comes to removing the underlying adhesive under most food-jar labels.

They work fairly well for me. Getting the oily residue off of
absorbent materials is my main objects. Number 2 objection is the
smell.

I went by Scarborough (Ace) Hardware today. What they have on the
shelf a
Acetone
Denatured Alcohol
Lacquer Thinner
Paint Thinner
Turpentine
Mineral Spirits
Japan Dryer
Painters Solvent (replaces MEK, toluene, xylene, VM+P Naphtha).
That's it. All the good stuff is gone.

MSDS for Exxon regular gasoline:
http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/Download.aspx?ID=83534&docFormat=RTF
Looks like it contains all your favorite missing VOC's. According to
the MSDS, gasoline is a mix of butane, isobutane, pentane, and
isopentane. I'm surprised that the California Air Resources Board
hasn't banned gasoline.

So, by using gasoline for cleaning and label removal, you're dumping
VOCs into the atmosphere. If there was a reward, I would probably
turn you in for re-education and brain washing (using an eco friend
brain wash cleaner).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D