Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Robert Bannon Robert Bannon is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:57:44 -0800, Oren wrote:

For removing labels I was suggesting lighter fluid (NAPHTHA) to remove
labels. Not suggesting mixing it with gas. I removes labels, tar,
grease & oil stains. https://tinyurl.com/hpzopew

The problem isn't removing the label, but the goop under the label once the
label is removed.

The Naphtha probably works but does it work better than gasoline?
Dunno.

I'd need to find naphtha in the stores to test it out against gasoline
(which works just fine for removing most goop).

In the rare case that gasoline fails to remove the goop, acetone often works
(but acetone fails more than does gasoline).

I wasn't joking about peanut butter (smooth variety) either. It takes
longer so the oil soaks in and loosens the label. YMMV

I just use water to remove the label.
a. I fill the jar with water so it sinks
b. I drop it into a larger bucket of water

You can't beat water for being a readily available household chemical.
But water only removes the label.

My problem is removing the goop.
You can't beat gasoline for being a readily available household chemical for
removing the goop.

The only problem with the gasoline is it has to be used outdoors.
So that's why I'm trying to find how to make it so that it can be used
indoors.