Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
burfordTjustice burfordTjustice is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:05:58 -0000 (UTC)
Robert Bannon wrote:

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute
gasoline?

I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute for removing labels.
Most often I do it outside, because of the stink, but I want to keep
it inside in tiny amounts, diluted as much as possible.

I've already tried all the common home chemicals from alcohol to
acetone to lemon juice to engine degreaser to dish detergent to brake
cleaner to windex to automatic-transmission fluid and MAF cleaner,
all of which work sometimes but all of which fail often (either
because they melt the container or they don't dissolve the goo).

I've even tried common flavorings such as orange blossom extract, rose
water, pure lemon extract, coconut oil and walnut oil, which,
surprisingly, are totally useless (but they do smell the best!).

I've found, through decades of experience, that gasoline, which also
fails sometimes, works more often than any other household common
chemical.

But gasoline has all the problems that most of you will love to
"teach" me, but that's not the question (so please don't try to teach
me why gasoline vapors are flammable and why I should goo-be-gone
outdoors because I know that).

Also please don't try to teach me that there are commercial lemon-oil
solutions.

I just want to dilute the gasoline and I already know that even the
diluted gasoline vapors will be flammable. We take risks sometimes
when working around the house and not being a pussy about it all the
time.

So I plan to keep a small jar of gasoline properly labeled under the
kitchen sink (let's not go into the dangers of doing that, because
properly diluting it won't solve that danger for the most part).

Without being a pussy about the question, do you have any suggestion
that you think might work best to dilute the gasoline 10:1 (or even
100:1) so that I'm using the minimum effective amount of gasoline
indoors?

What can I 'cut' the gasoline with that will mix with the gas and
dilute it (maybe 10:1 or even maybe 100:1)?

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute
gasoline?

Acorn Flour works best.