Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 16 Nov 2016 05:39:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-15, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 15 Nov 2016 03:01:39 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-14, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 14 Nov 2016 03:11:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Yep -- 80=90 VAC 20 Hz (or 20 CPS in the old days. :-)

Yeah, I grew up with Cycles Per Second, too.

Or -- for short, '~' on some date plates. :-)

Right. I had forgotten those. That's probably how it ended up on the
QWERTY keyboard in the first place. I use it now to approximate.

Maybe -- but it also belongs above certain letters in Spanish
and Portuguese to modify the pronunciation. Spanish it is 'n' and 'ñ'
(pronounced "ennye".

I had to learn those (Alt-0139 originally, it changed with different
fonts) early on since I tossed French, Spanish, and German words in my
BBS posts very early on.

I'm not quite sure what the effect of it being
orve an 'a' is in Portugese. :-)

Maybe it's pronounced with a Suthuhn accent "ayund" The-yus a-yund
tha-yat. :-/

[ ... ]

I didn't have wheels back then -- or a MGA, which really did not
have the creature comforts for properly enjoying a drive-in. :-)

A friend drove us to work in a floor-holey MGTD one winter. Granted,
SoCal ain't frozen tundra, but it was a mite chilly. I wouldn't have
considered it a model car for the drive-in, either, despite the vast
advances and upgrades from your MGA.

Huh? The TC and TD (as well as the TF) all preceded the MGA.
Only the MGB and MGC (MGB with a 6 cylinder engine instead of the
traditional 4 cylinder one.

Oh, I didn't know that. So, did the Brits start with an MGZ?

The sports cars were not all of their line. I think the sedans
at the time of the MGA were the "PB", but I'm not sure.

They were all evil, sporting that Prince of Darkness symbol on their
electrical systems, so I didn't follow them. (Yes, "Lucas")

The T series cars were all rather boxy, with the MG-TF the least
so (the headlights were faired in the the fenders (wings) in the TF,
while they were in bullets above the fenders in the earlier ones.

The MGA was the first of the swoopy body designs for the sports
cars, and I always thought looked nicer than the MGB line.

(googling to refresh memory) My dad ran an Austin Healey 100/4 in
gymkhanas and autocrosses in me yout. I grew up/teethed on tuning his
spoked wheels. They were quite similar to the MGA, wot?

I think I prefer the look of the MGB, and the performance of a Sunbeam
Tiger, a Shelby Cobra, or the lines and performance of a McLaren P1
GTR, TYVM. vbg

It was certainly fun to drive, anyway. :-)

My sister had a 1973 BLMC MGB GT. (say that 3 times real fast)

O.K. IIRC, the GT models were ones with a hardtop, but I may be
wrong.

Yes, as was my first car, a '57 Chebby BelAir 4-dr Hardtop.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.