Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 22:23:30 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:30:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 15 Nov 2016 03:01:39 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-14, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On 14 Nov 2016 03:11:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

wrote:

[ ... ]

Yep -- 80=90 VAC 20 Hz (or 20 CPS in the old days. :-)

Yeah, I grew up with Cycles Per Second, too.

Or -- for short, '~' on some date plates. :-)

Right. I had forgotten those. That's probably how it ended up on
the
QWERTY keyboard in the first place. I use it now to approximate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde

The wee beastie has a long history, doon it?

I had the job of designing the fonts for an ink jet printer so I've

Thankless job, wot? (more recently, anyway) I used to make web
advertising banners and sorted through the hundreds of different fonts
available through Corel Draw 3 (my first graphical purchase) to match
the font to the product and company it represented.

I toyed with a font editor a couple times but didn't have the mindset
for it. You probably did it more from an electronics perspective, so I
can't really compare. Were you gifted with naming the font you
inspired, or did the company graciously call it "default inkjet font
1"?

researched the names and meanings of the symbols.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampersand

Wow, they had aliens way back then? Cool!
"The ampersand is the logogram "&", representing the conjunction word
"and". It originated as a ligature of the letters et, Latin for
"and".[1]"

I sure prefer the more easily handwritten modern ampersand.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.