Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Shop lights

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 9:03:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news

Apples and oranges. Yes, the compact ones (why the heck are we still
trying to visually imitate a century old designs is beyond me) get hot,
but there's a lot more room for the electronics in the tube versions.
Mine don't even run warm.

Inertia... The "clip on bulb" style of lamp shades have been scarce for
years, and there's litterally millions of fixtures with a standard medium
base out there. What worked for the old bulbs space wise will work for
the new ones.

Although, for new construction a flat "pancake" style box and a shallow
fixture would allow you to have "recessed" pot lights without actually
recessing them. They're currently a favorite design it seems, but I'm
not all that keen on them.

In one library (bathroom) the new HVAC return went right over the reading
chair (toilet). The light that was there was removed and I haven't been
bothered enough to put one back. A flat pot light (especially one that
could be surface mounted) would fit that location quite nicely. (I think
I hear somebody saying "fire up Google". Yeah, I know... It's on the
list.)

Puckdropper

I have recently bought a couple of these, one 7" and 11".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...6241/205890895

They have a standard E26 "base" so they can be used in a standard fixture.
I replaced the bulb in the porcelain fixture near the service panel with
the 7" version. Much, much brighter.

My daughter's apartment has a kitchen light with a round shade and a socket
for a single bulb, similar to this:

http://iappfind.com/images/_fullsize...s-of-white.jpg

I replaced the single bulb with the 11" size and it not only fills the
shade nicely but spreads the light much more widely. It was so much
brighter that it took her a few days to get used to it.

On the subject of brightness, I also found the LED shop lights and
those flush mount units to be almost painfully bright after I installed
them. It took a few days for me to get used to them. I think the additional
brightness drew my eyes to them and that's what made them "uncomfortable".
After a few days, I think my brain adapted and they stopped bothering me. My
daughter noticed the same thing with her kitchen fixture. At first she
wanted me to take it out, but I suggested she try it for a few days and
now she fine with it.