Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Hickeys

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 3:26:00 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 9:46:23 AM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I used the Brady printed labels, and covered them with clear heat
shrink.

When I made cable harnesses for the batch of electric cars [the
customer] paid to have us label each wire with printed heatshrink
labels:
https://www.brother-usa.com/mobile/l...able_wire.aspx

I've used a fine Sharpie on paper labels for home projects but the
writing diffuses and fades under clear adhesive tape.

I switched to clear heatshrink, before the mid '80s. I was using it
on my shop cables, to stop people from claiming that they had brought
cables with equipment, when they didn't. I would type on address labels,
then trim and wrap them on the cable before applying the heatshrink
tubing. The labels had a description, and the date that they were made..

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

You wouldn't be using that in Bell System (Verizon) central offices. You would fail inspection. According to Bellcore standards, ALL cables must be labeled at each end with flag-type labels which can be read from any direction without disconnecting the cable. I spend a few years designing and supervising the installation of colocation equipment for AT&T. I watched as two cages full of equipment were relabeled at one site.

Good idea? Maybe, maybe not. But it's their building, and if you're gonna put your stuff in it, it has to follow their rules.

ILEC telco folks seem to do the best wiring and labelling. It's union work
here, so nobody is in a hurry and there's no incentive to cut corners and
save money. There's no next billable job to move onto. Notice I said ILEC
though. There are lots of contractors involved on the phone network these
days and as you shift to the data side of stuff, things get uglier in
practive.

It's union work here too (NY, NJ CT). Of the 50 or so offices I was in, only one time did I have any issues with the union. They insisted on doing everything, with me touching nothing. They took instructions very well, and did everything right, but it was hands-off for me. In all of the other shops, the union guys didn't care at all who did the actual work. They would do it or I would do it or we would do it together. I learned a lot from those guys.