donald girod

Default overlaying drywall over plaster ceiling

I've used 1/4" but it's awfully floopy when you try to put it on a ceiling.
3/8" is probably better. Make sure your screws get into the ceiling joists
soundly (2 1/2" screws would be about right for 3/8 drywall and 7/8
plaster), and use plenty so that you are holding the plaster up soundly.

"Mickey" wrote in message
m...
I am working on an older home where the white and brown coat of
plaster are very bouncy. I am overlaying the walls with 1/4 drywall
(screwed and glued), my question is will 1/4 drywall be strong enough
for the ceiling or will I want the additional screwing depth that 1/2
will provide.

Thanks for any thoughts
Mickey