Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default Shop lights

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:22:02 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/13/16 8:44 PM, krw wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 19:37:05 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/13/16 6:40 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 20:20:37 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 6:59 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 18:02:35 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on
the Costco leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT
cheaper in the long run when you consider their energy
consumption AND their life expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and
another pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than
incandescent bulbs in the last five years, despite being
outnumbered at least 3:1.

But it's not even a debatable issue. My LED's have already
outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by at least 2
fold. I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out
of them. A safe guess would be 20.

But 2-fold isn't anything close to the advertised life. We'll
see but I *highly* doubt you're going to get 10 years, much less
20. Heat is a killer of semiconductors and those LEDs run *hot*.
If you want to extend the life of the medium screw base LED
"bulbs", a beer-can heatsink (cut it up to look like a fan
radiating away from the base) will probably double its life.

Apples and oranges. Yes, the compact ones (why the heck are we
still trying to visually imitate a century old designs is beyond
me) get hot, but there's a lot more room for the electronics in the
tube versions. Mine don't even run warm.

Bright LEDs are *hot* LEDs. They go together.

My point is there's a lot more room for the heat to dissipate in a 4ft.
tube than in a tiny little bulb-sized cluster, which would easily
explain the longer life span using your criteria for the reason for
failure.

It's not about the tube getting hot. It's about the semiconductor
junction heating. Without a *really* good heatsink, they will
overheat. Most are *way* under designed.