Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default Shop lights

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 19:37:05 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/13/16 6:40 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 20:20:37 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 6:59 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 18:02:35 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the
Costco leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper
in the long run when you consider their energy consumption AND
their life expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and
another pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than
incandescent bulbs in the last five years, despite being
outnumbered at least 3:1.

But it's not even a debatable issue. My LED's have already
outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by at least 2 fold. I
would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them. A
safe guess would be 20.

But 2-fold isn't anything close to the advertised life. We'll see
but I *highly* doubt you're going to get 10 years, much less 20.
Heat is a killer of semiconductors and those LEDs run *hot*. If you
want to extend the life of the medium screw base LED "bulbs", a
beer-can heatsink (cut it up to look like a fan radiating away from
the base) will probably double its life.

Apples and oranges. Yes, the compact ones (why the heck are we still
trying to visually imitate a century old designs is beyond me) get hot,
but there's a lot more room for the electronics in the tube versions.
Mine don't even run warm.

Bright LEDs are *hot* LEDs. They go together.