Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 2016-11-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 13 Nov 2016 01:13:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-12, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 05:23:55 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Ten colors, in two groups of five. That gives 25 pairs. The stripes
are not the same width, so it is quite easy to pick up.

Yeah, prolly so.

Stripes, or on some telephone cables, solid color with other
color dots every half inch or so.

I used to repair the frayed looms on US and Euro cars after accidents,
where a replacement wire loom was deemed too expensive. I remember
seeing some solid color cables with dots, but I don't recall the
brand.

I've only seen it on telephone cables, not auto wiring. And
telephone cable is solid wire, not stranded, so would not survive the
vibration of the automotive environment.

Mercedes often used same color wire with varied color stripes
way back.

Sure -- stripes were easy to make when they made the wire. Not
sure why dots were sometimes used by the phone company.

And some striped wire had two stripes, a wide and a narrow one
giving three colors.

An example, from the start of the sequence is blue and white,
typically blue with a white stripe and white with a blue stripe as the
other half of the pair. Keep using blue through the other four pair of
that group, then increment blue to the next color and repeat the
sequence of the other color in the pairs. So each color pair identifies
both wires of the pair as belonging together.

I'm sure that helps immensely when you're faced with 50-500 wires in a
group.

Well ... 25-pair cables *are* 50 wires, and the dots on solid
uniquely marked each wire in that count. (Aside from that, the two wires
in a pair were also twisted -- to minimize crosstalk to adjacent pairs.)
The twisting helps keep them together so you don't have to search
through 49 other wires to find the other half of a pair. :-)

[ ... ]

But the water-proofing grease used on the
1500 Pair or larger is just too messy for me to take apart and see what
the pattern is. (Aside from the ribbed aluminum sheet wrapped around
the wires all inside the black plastic jacket.)

Grok that. Ick!

Yep!

[ ... ]

How about some, new in the box 400E KTU line cards? Or a few
subcycle power supplies?

Ah -- SubCycle -- put in 60 Hz, get out 20 Hz by some magic
inductive circuit. Used for ringing the phone bells. (Except the other
frequency bells used on some party-line systems, in addition to ringing
between one wire of the pair and earth ground. :-)

I was playing with the phone line wires once when a call came in.
Yeouch! Weren't those 90vac@20Hz? Surprised me.

Yep -- 80=90 VAC 20 Hz (or 20 CPS in the old days. :-)

Hey, some guy is selling old drive-in theater speaker poles with
speakers for $250 on Craigslist. Who knows what will sell? List it
and see.

I've got enough of all of the above, but there are certainly
some people out there collecting them -- or using them. :-)

People who don't know what stereo or hi-fi mean, y'mean?

I meant the KTU line cards and sub-cycle units.

As for the drive-in speakers -- I wonder how many were uprooted
by driving off with them still in the window over the life of the
theater? :-)

Fond old
memories of drive-ins, I remember borrowing Mom's '62 Lincoln
Continental, complete with suicide doors, to go to the drive-in after
I got my license. The front electric seat would to back, down, and
tilt back so we could put our feet on the dashboard to watch. Then,
when the movie got boring and my girlfriend got friendly, the cushy
seats proved long and wide. sweet sigh

I didn't have wheels back then -- or a MGA, which really did not
have the creature comforts for properly enjoying a drive-in. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail