Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default Shop lights

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 10:11:21 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/13/2016 9:48 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:F9SdnS5J5KM9VbrFnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 11/12/2016 7:56 PM, krw wrote:

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.

Color temperature matters a lot. Try tubes with the same lumens at
2700K and 6500K, and you'll see a big difference. That's not to say
that fluorescents are better but all lumens are not created equal. ;-)

The 6500k are often called "daylight". My preference too

Be careful, though, as daylight might be only 6000K or even 5000K. The
term's unregulated, so marketers will stick it to anything even close to
hopefully capitolize on its popularity.

Puckdropper

... yes, as shown he
https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/w...ture-Chart.jpg

Color temp is a individual preference thing. Even though 6500K does
appear marginally brighter, the unmistakable blue hue isn't for me. IMO
the sweet spot is in the 4000K/5000K range.

It is an odd thing to comprehend. I used to hate LED lights, they ALL
looked blue and did not seem to have any illumination compared to
incandescent. I'm talking many years ago when LED flash lights were
first showing up.

Fast forward and LED's lights now use, in many cases, yellow filters to
filter out the blue.

"White" LEDs are actually blue, with various phosphors to convert the
blue light down, much as a fluorescent. Like a fluorescent, a mix of
phosphors can be used to tune the "color". Also like fluorescents,
LEDs output light in narrow wavelength bands. A filter would filter
these out, leaving you in the dark. ;-)

I have Phillips Alto Daylight 6500K T8's in my shop, 16 of them, and I
see no blue at all. BUT I just replaced the florescent screw in ceiling
bulbs in my shop to supplement the T8's and the lamps seem to cast a
slight touch of blue off of our white freezer. That was not there with
just the T8's. The new LED screw in lamps are 3700K, Go figure. I
guess they don't have enough yellow filter .

https://goo.gl/cH3rUx

https://goo.gl/VmyoK3