Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default turnished solder

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 6:08:10 PM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:56:21 -0500, M Philbrook wrote:

I know some of you work on older PC boards that may have encoder being
stored or operated in damp areas, it tends to cause the solder to
turnish and is hard to rework for repairs..

Other than scrapping it, is there some ready made chemical that will
wash off the surface? Something like s Silver turnish remover?

Would a peroxide and white vinegar do something for me?

Jamie

X-posted to a more appropriate forum.

In the last couple of years I have become addicted to wiping down anything I put the soldering iron to with liquid flux. Solder Wick becomes much more effective and less heat is needed. The only time I don't is if I'm using a vacuum iron because it gums up the works.