Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default turnished solder

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:56:21 -0500, M Philbrook wrote:

I know some of you work on older PC boards that may have encoder being
stored or operated in damp areas, it tends to cause the solder to
turnish and is hard to rework for repairs..

Other than scrapping it, is there some ready made chemical that will
wash off the surface? Something like s Silver turnish remover?

Would a peroxide and white vinegar do something for me?

Jamie

X-posted to a more appropriate forum.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 6:08:10 PM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:56:21 -0500, M Philbrook wrote:

I know some of you work on older PC boards that may have encoder being
stored or operated in damp areas, it tends to cause the solder to
turnish and is hard to rework for repairs..

Other than scrapping it, is there some ready made chemical that will
wash off the surface? Something like s Silver turnish remover?

Would a peroxide and white vinegar do something for me?

Jamie

X-posted to a more appropriate forum.

In the last couple of years I have become addicted to wiping down anything I put the soldering iron to with liquid flux. Solder Wick becomes much more effective and less heat is needed. The only time I don't is if I'm using a vacuum iron because it gums up the works.

Does lead tin solder stick to silver solder? Mike B Metalworking 7 October 17th 12 07:12 PM
Solder rot D.M. Procida UK diy 73 January 8th 12 05:35 PM
60/40 vs. 63/37 Solder Joe Electronics Repair 81 July 20th 10 02:18 AM
Old Solder Joe Electronics Repair 25 July 11th 10 09:20 PM
why 60-40 solder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 73 February 21st 08 08:06 PM