Joseph Meehan

Default FLA. Humidistat vs Thermostat operation?

Humidistat generally control dehumidifiers or humiditifiers.
Thermostats control heating and A/C units. I would expect separate controls
if you have both a humidifier (I doubt if you have one in FL USA).

I would want the dehumidifier to run much the same when I was there and
when I was not. I am not sure what the "ON" would be however other than it
may turn the unit on full time and not allow it to turn off. I would rather
allow it to run as needed. The numbers, which are likely to be
approximations at best, should represent percentage of humidity, not
temperature. However I have seen some units that did have a temperature
setting, but I am not sure exactly what it was doing this that setting.

It would be good if you had the manuals for those things, you know the
ones someone threw away when the got them.

It might also help if you could tell us the make and model involved.

In short the thermostat does not directly control humidity and the
humidistat does not control temperature. The only connections between the
two may be two, running heat or A/C can change the humidity and a humidity
control unit may be set up to use the HVAC air handling equipment and work
when it is on.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"M.Burns" wrote in message
Recently got a small place in FLA, but we're not there in the summer and I
don't understand how the humidistat and thermostat work with each other

...if
they do.
When we are there, we set humidistat to "on", and the A/C thermostat to
"System "on", and mid 70's temperature.

However, what are the proper settings for an exended absence?
I changed the humidstat to "70" instead of "on", but then noticed the
digital A/C thermostat cannot be bumped to 85. It appears the thermostat
can only be set to a higher temperature when the humidstat is in the "on"
position.
What is controlling the humidity and temperature when the humidistat is

set
on "70" (and if so, is the thermostat controlling anything?).
What's going on?
Thanks.