Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Rounding bowl Blanks

Ordinarily I use the bandsaw to cut round blanks for bowls, but large,
heavy pieces I do with a small chain saw. I measure the diameter two
ways making a center cross mark. Setting a large compass on the mark
I draw a circle and cut it out with 8 slanting cuts. If one of the
points protrudes too far I also cut it off.

After screwing on the faceplate one or two of the points sometimes
will strike the bed of the lathe. Usually this means removing the
blank from the lathe and using a chisel to knock off the points.
Yesterday I suddenly remembered the power hand planer which I bought
for a single job years ago. Dug it out and it buzzed the corners down
in a jiffy, right on the lathe. Duh!! After 15 years of turning I
thought of it.

--

GW Ross

Dyslexics have more fnu.