Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rounding bowl Blanks

Ordinarily I use the bandsaw to cut round blanks for bowls, but large,
heavy pieces I do with a small chain saw. I measure the diameter two
ways making a center cross mark. Setting a large compass on the mark
I draw a circle and cut it out with 8 slanting cuts. If one of the
points protrudes too far I also cut it off.

After screwing on the faceplate one or two of the points sometimes
will strike the bed of the lathe. Usually this means removing the
blank from the lathe and using a chisel to knock off the points.
Yesterday I suddenly remembered the power hand planer which I bought
for a single job years ago. Dug it out and it buzzed the corners down
in a jiffy, right on the lathe. Duh!! After 15 years of turning I
thought of it.

--

GW Ross

Dyslexics have more fnu.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:54:41 -0500
"G. Ross" wrote:

Yesterday I suddenly remembered the power hand planer which I bought
for a single job years ago. Dug it out and it buzzed the corners
down in a jiffy, right on the lathe. Duh!! After 15 years of

used a sawzall once for this and then when the closest thing was a
good old chisel i used that

now wonder if a hand planer would work for roughing out the blank
maybe with the lathe on low rpm it might work

Bowl blanks dipped in wax Mac Davis Woodturning 14 May 23rd 13 07:54 AM
bowl blanks Marty G Woodturning 4 August 29th 09 06:33 PM
large bowl blanks Marty G Woodturning 7 September 18th 08 01:55 AM
preserving bowl blanks Paul Gilbert[_2_] Woodturning 15 August 19th 08 06:12 PM
Bowl rims, rounding over Bill Woodturning 6 November 15th 03 11:48 AM