Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 08:46:05 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Did you wear out a number-style label maker? I hated old Mercenary's
Bends (IIRC) repairs because of the numbered wires. Man, that was a
crispy old memory. Crap like this:
http://www.linkbelt.com/lit/images/p...ive_Wiring.jpg

I used the Brady printed labels, and covered them with clear heat
shrink.

I see. The expensive, time-consuming, and proper way.

My way, or no way!

Our military used the same method long ago.

And I remember cringing as a kid, when I saw the phone repairman with
the big fat bundle of tiny wires all splayed out.

The new FAA building at Ft Rucker, Al. had a phone room on each
floor, with 1200 pairs, and walls covered with 66 blocks. That was over
40 years ago. 20 years later, they would have needed under 100 pair,
each with a SLIC for up to 16 lines.

You must be a very patient guy, Mikey.

That wasn't my job, but I was working at the site. We had to
provide a connection to the Weathervision system, to the FAA building.

The color coding was easy to learn.

Easier than resistor color codes?

Ten colors, in two groups of five. That gives 25 pairs. The stripes
are not the same width, so it is quite easy to pick up.

I repaired a lot of 1A2 phone
systems. I still have a few hundred feet of 25 pair cable, somewhere
around here.

Consider selling it as ANTIQUE. You'll be rich!

How about some, new in the box 400E KTU line cards? Or a few
subcycle power supplies?

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.