Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Hickeys

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 9:46:23 AM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I used the Brady printed labels, and covered them with clear heat
shrink.

When I made cable harnesses for the batch of electric cars [the
customer] paid to have us label each wire with printed heatshrink
labels:
https://www.brother-usa.com/mobile/l...able_wire.aspx

I've used a fine Sharpie on paper labels for home projects but the
writing diffuses and fades under clear adhesive tape.

I switched to clear heatshrink, before the mid '80s. I was using it
on my shop cables, to stop people from claiming that they had brought
cables with equipment, when they didn't. I would type on address labels,
then trim and wrap them on the cable before applying the heatshrink
tubing. The labels had a description, and the date that they were made.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

You wouldn't be using that in Bell System (Verizon) central offices. You would fail inspection. According to Bellcore standards, ALL cables must be labeled at each end with flag-type labels which can be read from any direction without disconnecting the cable. I spend a few years designing and supervising the installation of colocation equipment for AT&T. I watched as two cages full of equipment were relabeled at one site.

Good idea? Maybe, maybe not. But it's their building, and if you're gonna put your stuff in it, it has to follow their rules.