Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Ha!

6 feet of romex. The friendly electrical supply house here will load your
vehicle up even if you're clearly not in the trade. The other places with
the shiny showrooms seem to be bothered by any sort of counter sale. They
also seem to have huge warehouses full of nothing as even simple stuff
doesn't seem to be in stock for some reason. I don't get it, but whatever.

Around 1990, I was building a TV station in Destin, Florida. There
was a branch of an electrical supply house that I used, back home. They
refused to sell to me. So, I smiled and said, "No problem. I'm going
home on Friday evening, so I'll by it at that branch. I'll also ask the
manager to contact corporate, to report you."

All of a sudden, a cash sale was OK. Then I discovered that they
only stocked Black White & Brown THHN in 14 AWG. I needed to replace a
damaged wiring harness of over 200 conductors, so it was real fun with
only three colors.

Awful. Did you do colored tape wraps, like phone cable?

Brady wire markers that matched the terminal numbers, and covered
with clear heatshrink. I ran a repeating color pattern, as I ran three
conductors at a time through some expandable wire looming. I also
formed the leads so that it was obvious where each wire was meant to
go. It took three full days to make the replacement for the early '50s
rubber covered wire that RCA had used in the original harness. You
could hear the rubber cracking, when the old harness was moved. They had
lost the original 1 KW transmitter stages to an electrical fire, so I
wasn't going to chance another fire. Thar transmitter was used in at
least three different sites. The fire was two locations before I moved
and rebuilt it.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.