Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulbs

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) explained on 07/11/2016 :
Halogen replacements for the older tungsten are common these days.
They are easy to see (as it were) as usually contain the halogen
capsule within and ordinary glass envelope. Needed as the filament
runs much hotter. They consume less current than the equivalent
tungsten hence 'allowed'. So no reason they would 'cook' the socket,
as being more efficient must produce less heat.

They are more efficient, they produce a higher proportion of light than
heat when compared to ordinary lamps, but they do run very hot indeed -
the heat generated in a much smaller package less able to dispose of
the heat.

I was talking about halogen GLS replacements. Look much the same as GLS -
apart from the internals. The equivalent to an old 100w GLS is said to be
a 70w halogen - so not really sure how that could produce more heat?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ena/index.html

My experience of them is that the heat can oxidise the pins, the oxide
on the pins then damages the sockets.

I have around a dozen 10w halogen lamps in my caravan - all of them
have suffered some degree of damage due oxidisation of the pins.

Yehbut that's just poor design. Nothing to do with being halogen or not.
Cars have had very small high powered halogen lamps for years. But with a
properly designed connector.

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.