Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Crappy Plywood

On 11/6/16 6:09 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 23:44:20 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

This might seem like Déjà vu for some, because I'm pretty sure
I've posted about this before, but it bears repeating.

What's the deal with this crappy plywood!? There was a day when the
squarest, straightest, flattest thing in the room was a sheet of
plywood. I'm working with 54 sheets of 1/2" 4-ply BC and at least
half of them aren't square. I realize I'm not talking about $75
Baltic birch cabinet grade stuff, here, but can we at least get it
down to 1/8" or closer?

I'm sure when the machines are cranking this stuff out, they can
adjust the cutters periodically. How difficult is is it? I guess
I wouldn't be so ****ed off if it weren't for the fact that I've
gotten "expensive" plywood that was crooked, too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the last sheet I ripped had a big
bubble pop up in the middle because it wasn't glued. Yeah, it
looks like two 8ft. pieces of pita bread.

Chinese plywood? The cheapest crap you could buy?

No idea the country of origin.
The cheapest I could buy? Yes, in my area.
It's BCX, and I'm building industrial storage bins, so I don't expect
nor even want perfection. What I *do* reasonably expect is for basic,
minimum quality standards for plywood to be met.

Among the minimum quality standards are 1. straight & square, and 2. the
plies of the "ply"wood to actually be glued together. Without the
latter, I submit that it's not even plywood, but simply a quantity of
stacked veneers.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)