Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 2016-11-03, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 3 Nov 2016 01:18:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-02, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 1 Nov 2016 04:11:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I remember when I worked at a place which was making flight
simulators for the Navy, the cable harnesses had gazillions of 22 ga
white wires which were run through a machine which hot-stamped a number
every few inches -- and each wire had a different number, which matched
numbers in wire lists and on schematics. (Typical connectors were 104
pin rectangular ones with crimp-on pins.) The harness in the cockpit
was mostly the same 22 ga wires, in a bundle about 8" diameter.

Funny you should say that. I didn't make the cut at the F-14
Simulator shop on NAS Miramar because I didn't have bubble memory
experience, having just graduated from Coleman's Computer Electronics
Technology course. I'm very glad I didn't make it. g

This was before bubble memory came (and went). :-) The simulator
was for the LTV A7-A -- a carrier based light attack aircraft.

That was the only instance I heard of bubble memory to this day. It
didn't exist in the real world.

I actually *had* a bubble memory for a while. I picked it up at
a hamfest, planning to find some use for it -- but before that happened,
I encountered someone desperately looking for one of the same type to
repair something -- so I sold it.

I had read about it before, and thought that it sounded
interesting.

[ ... ]

That was one of the things I hated about the car wash guys
using ArmorAll on the _steering_wheels_ before I test drove the
repaired cars at the body shop. I asked them if they were trying to
drum up new business for the shop.

Who would have paid for the repairs after that? (You-- or was
it that the owners would not be expecting the slick steering wheel? :-)

I didn't know what ArmorAll was a silicone oil/grease.

Thread drift.

Thread drift is common enough here. At least this did not drift
in a political direction. :-)

I expanded the thread to include all silicones since I
haven't worked that much with the com cable goo. I did work with
automotive silicone dielectric goo products. Another nasty product is
the heatsink goo for CPUs.

Not just for CPUs, but for *any* power semiconductor device.
(There are actually goo-free heat-sink pads used in some CPUs, including
some that Sun made.) A silicone rubber pad with a lot of embedded silver
to conduct the heat well.

The old white goo has something in it which I suspect to be
beryllium based -- nasty stuff without the silicone grease to keep it
from blowing around. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--