Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Bill Moinihan Bill Moinihan is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 14:48:37 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

Well, T12 ballasts made before 1977 or so MIGHT have had PCBs in them, but
more likely it was phased out a decade before that. Certainly, no NEW
ballasts have had any PCB content for decades.

Thanks for that update.

After reading a few of these articles, and after noting that the government
bans *plenty* of other bulbs (which don't have ballasts), the *real* reason
is just the energy efficiency, I'm sure.

I guess the write of that article I referenced needed more words, so they
went on about PCBs, but, that's not the real reason.

They even banned some T8 bulbs, for example. And Halogens. And incandescent.

So, it's all about energy.